Ok, I wanted to try out writing. I think it will help me to remember things and to understand them more profoundly than before.
Yesterday I finally decided to set up a WordPress blog. I already had a server configured as a proxy because you know, I live in Russia. And recently we’ve got some serious issues with services availability after Telegram block out. Some essential things like Slack and AWS got partially blocked. So lot’s of people jumped on the proxy train.
I thought it would take me a couple of hours maximum to set up a WordPress website on the existing server. Not so fast, mister!
Here comes mighty Google to help me find a good deal. After some research, I’ve stumbled across namesilo.com. Lot’s of great feedback in every question about them. After seeing recommendations like this: Have you ever used NameSilo as your domain name registrar? I’ve gone there to check the prices and Google didn’t disappoint me. Rates are lower than on other services that I’ve reviewed. Also, you’re getting all this useful stuff for free: WHOIS privacy, no ICANN or transaction fees, two-factor authentication, and so on. The interface is old but very practical. You can get shit done in a couple of minutes here.
I’ve changed Name Servers for my freshly acquired domain and opened WordPress installation wizard using the server IP address. But got nothing on the screen. A website can’t be reached. I’ve double-checked all the Nginx configs, everything looks right, wtf?
It turns out that:
A port is normally considered opened when there is a program running and LISTENING on the port. You can tell which ports have programs running with this command (among many other commands):
netstat -tulnp | grep "LISTEN"
You can identify which application is using the port with this command (in this case checking port 80):
sudo lsof -i tcp:80
Of course, port 8081 was closed in my case.
To ensure that UFW actually blocks my requests I’ve enabled logging:
sudo ufw status verbose sudo ufw logging on tail -f /var/log/ufw.log May 31 12:20:39 server0187 kernel: [23.217712] [UFW BLOCK] IN=ens3 OUT= MAC=56:00:21:32:65:eb:fe:00:00:32:65:eb:08:99 SRC=22.214.171.124 DST=se.rv.er.ip LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=48 ID=63510 PROTO=TCP SPT=7040 DPT=23 WINDOW=31379 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
Finally, I’ve allowed incoming connection for the target port
# Allow access by IP sudo ufw allow 8081 # Allow all incoming HTTP and HTTPS sudo ufw allow proto tcp from any to any port 80,443
Yay, now WordPress wizard is accessible from the world wide web!
The last challenge was to set up a new user in MySQL for WordPress database. I didn’t think about it as a challenge until I started doing it. Urrgh.
Here I wanted to write about how I did it, but I’ve postponed this article for a couple of weeks, and now I don’t remember the exact issue and solution. It was something related to
authentication_string. So it took me some time to tackle this one too, but finally, the blog is on.
The goal is to write about technical challenges that I encounter on the day to day job and in writing OSS. Write without much filtering and editing to get used to writing in English and remember ideas that I come up with.